Friday, February 21, 2014

Beautiful Skin

       The make-up and skin care aisles are full of all sorts of different brands to choose from.  However, most of the products that are available are not at all good for your skin or your health. There are alternatives to using these chemical laden products and in this article I am going to show a few different options for make up, body care and how to heal your skin the natural way.
          So many of us use make-up every day without really thinking about what it's doing to our skin and our health. If you buy your make-up there are generally three kinds: 

1. The cheap and unhealthy make-up
2. The more expensive but still unhealthy make-up
3. Expensive but healthy make-up

The make-up options for # 1 and 2 and some of #3 are chemical based and some of them even have mercury in them, among other ingredients that you don't want soaking through your skin. The majority of the brands for #3 though are mineral make-up brands. Mineral make-up is not only way better for your skin, but it looks just as good. As it's name denotes it is made out of minerals and may also contain essential oils. In my research for a good mineral make-up brand I came across two that I was impressed with. The first one is Cowgirl Dirt. Cowgirl Dirt is a christian, family-owned mineral make-up company. I have not been able to try them yet, but I really like what I have read about them.  The other mineral make-up company that I enjoy is Pacifica. Pacifica was originally based out of Eugene, OR before moving up to Portland, OR., and it began when the founder started playing around with essential oils. I have been able to try Pacifica's lotion, but have not tried their make-up yet. There are also many recipes online to make your own mineral make-up and many online suppliers. One supplier that I have looked into is Coastal Scents. They have all kinds of minerals and bases that are safe and healthy, as well as containers for your finished products. Young Living has lots of essential oils for you to add to your make-up if you decide to make your own. The benefit of making your own make-up is that you can customize it to the needs of your own skin. Whatever skin type you have, whether it is oily, dry or a combination, you can put in the moisturizers, minerals and essential oils in your make-up to help your skin heal.
                                                        
              With body care products it's just as bad. There are the same three kinds of body care products as there are of make-up.  Pacifica has a great line of mineral based, essential oil infused body lotions and body butters. My favorite scent is Tahitian Gardenia Body Butter. Tree Hut is another natural lotion company that I have been using. With face scrubs and shampoo and conditioner, try to find the one with the most natural ingredients, and that doesn't make bubbles. When a shampoo or face wash bubbles it strips your hair and skin of all its natural oils that they need to be and look healthy. There are also several recipes for making your own shampoo and conditioner, lotion, and face wash. Stephanie Tourles has many different recipes in her book Organic Body Care Recipes. You may want to look around and see what recipes you like. Here are some lotion recipes to get you started, as well as some natural sunscreen recipes.
  

         So here are a few ways to heal your skin with natural remedies, that have worked for me and my family.
    
Frankincense is great for taking away warts and other similar skin blemishes. My little sister had a wart on her upper lip and I started applying Frankincense to her feet, twice a day for three days and it was completely gone by the end. The reason I applied it to her feet was because the pores on the soles of your feet are the biggest in your body and therefore absorb things way faster.
                                                   

Lavender is wonderful for cuts and burns. A friend of mine had gotten a burn on her arm from cooking Thanksgiving dinner back in November. I brought my bottle of lavender with me to church after she burned herself and we applied it to her burn, and within 24 hours it was almost gone. Then, a couple weeks ago my cat scratched my forehead and I applied a little lavender and it healed really well. You can get these essential oils from Young Living. If you order while your on the website enter my number in the sponsor and enroller # slots. My number is 1564241. These are only a few of the ways that you can care for your skin and look beautiful at the same time. 

              I am going to keep bringing this up until it has been accomplished. We still need signatures for the petition to end taxpayer funded abortions in Oregon. We have till Mother's Day (May 11th) to accomplish this goal. Go to www.oregon2014.org and print out a signature sheet, sign and mail it in. If you are feeling even more adventurous have your friends and family sign it. Have a long way to go you guys, but we can do it. 

             I look forward to talking to you all next week. If you have any mineral make-up companies that you like please share them. Or if you have a favorite recipe share that also. Do you have any suggestions for taking care of your skin naturally?


Soli Deo Gloria!



1 comment: